How ya’ll are? I started out trying to make a jambalaya in the old slow cooker, but you know, sometimes it just doesn’t work out the way you planned. But that’s okay, the food still tasted great. I just had to change the name. (Sorry, no photo this time, can’t find the camera and the iPhone 4s has yet to be ordered…)
Try my Crock Pot Crazy Cajun Rice next time it looks like snow outside. It’ll warm you up!
Prep time: 20 minutes. Cooking time: 4 hours
In a large crock pot, put in the following:
1 – 2 pounds of boneless chicken breast (free range, hormone free), cut into 1 inch cube-chunks.
1 and a half pounds of Aidells Cajun style andouille sausage*, chopped
28 oz. diced tomatoes. I used a large can, but you can use fresh if you want.
1 medium onion, chopped
8 oz okra, chopped (frozen is okay if it is out of season)
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
32 oz. MSG free, low sodium free range chicken broth
Stir the ingredients with your wooden spoon, then cover and cook on low for about 3 hours.
Uncover the pot and stir the mixture. Now add:
4 cups of uncooked, jasmine rice.
Stir in the rice, then recover the pot. Cook on low for an hour. That should be enough time for the rice to cook and absorb the flavors of the spices. If the rice isn’t quite done, keep cooking, but you may have to add some water or chicken broth if it has become too dry.
Stir once more before serving.
Makes 8 good sized servings.
* I don’t normally specify brands, however Aidells’ products are all natural. NO MSG. NO NITRATES and NO ADDED HORMONES. Try ’em. Remember, I don’t get anything from brands I mention. See the disclaimer post if you have questions.
- Recipe: Beans and Rice with Andouille (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Shrimp Jambalaya (mangiaeverydaycookingwithfran.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Chicken and Sausage (glutenfreeinga.wordpress.com)
- 10 Days of Crock Pot Meals: Roundup (thehappyhousewife.com)
- Crock Pots to the Rescue! (oceanfulloflemons.wordpress.com)
- Crock Pot Pork Roast (beatcancer2010.wordpress.com)
- Crock Pot Red Beans and Rice – As Heard on WROK (mealplanningmom.wordpress.com)